Friday, January 30, 2009

an exercise in contrast

Because I'm distracting myself from my work...
In poetry yesterday we talked a little bit about ballads. I very much enjoy  epic, mythical tales in verse. The music part isn't necessary, I just like the stories. I like the old fashioned tales, but here I present two modern ballads for contrast between, solemnity and shamelessness.
Anyway, it reminded me of a ballad we listened to in class in 4th grade, that I loved. So I looked it up online. I found a pretty good recording, it's The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot, although I think in 4th grade I heard a cover that wasn't quite so "I AM FOLK MUSIC!". It was more articulate, you kind of have to look up the lyrics to fully appreciate them. But I like it anyway, it's so pretty and so sad.
In the course of looking up the exact definition of a ballad, I saw mention of The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins. Well, few things could sound more appealing, so I checked it out. Umm, actually a bit of a travesty, but omfg, so funny. So in contrast I give you The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins, performed, no less, by the esteemed Leonard Nemoy

No comments: